The Presbyterian Church in North America has a strong commitment to evangelism, missionary work at home and abroad, and to Christian education. From its inception, the church has determined its purpose to be “faithful to the Scriptures, true to the reformed faith, and obedient to the Great Commission.”
Organized at a constitutional assembly in December 1973, this church was first known as the National Presbyterian Church but changed its name in 1974 to Presbyterian Church in America (PCA).
We came into existence because we felt strongly the need for a scriptural, evangelical and Reformed witness for Christ. We wanted to be a part of a denomination which honors God and His Word. We desired a believing fellowship which is committed to evangelism, Christian education and training as top priorities in the church. We felt that ministers and church officers should affirm without compromise the great Biblical beliefs of Christianity.
The new denomination began with 240 congregations and 40,000 members. Within a few years it grew to more than 500 congregations with nearly 80,000 members. In 1982 the Reformed Presbyterian Church, Evangelical Synod joined with us, bringing almost 25,000 new members into the PCA fold. Currently, the denomination has 1400 churches and over 300,000 members. Of the nine Presbyterian denominations in North America, the PCA is the fastest growing. Together we are lifting high a banner of love and testimony to Jesus Christ the Lord, locally and globally.
The PCA has made a firm commitment on the doctrinal standards which had been significant in Presbyterianism since 1645, namely the Westminster Confession of Faith and Catechisms.